As we all know Lightning has been added to Salesforce very recently(2015) and it is the future of Salesforce. So lot of people who are new to Lightning but have the curiosity to learn it sometimes find it difficult to understand. I realised that the best way to start would be by describing what are the differences between Salesforce Lightning Design System and Salesforce Lightning Components Framework. So in this blog I will try to explain what are the major differences between Salesforce Lightning Design System and Salesforce Lightning Components Framework and hopefully it will clear out most of the doubts that a new developer is having regarding The Lightning Framework.
Introduction to Salesforce Lightning Design System
It is a CSS framework which is used for creating dynamic web apps. By Using SLDS We can make our apps responsive and can also provide Look and feel similar to the Lightning Experience.
Steps to install the SLDS Unmanaged Packaged:For using SLDS in our Salesforce org. First We need to install the Latest Salesforce Lightning Design System unmanaged packaged as a static resource zip file.
- Log into your Developer Org.
- Open the Salesforce Lightning Design System in a Separate window.
- Go to the Download Section.
- Click on the latest unmanaged package
- Now click on Install it.
After Completing the above steps the package will get installed into your org.
Benefits of using Salesforce Lightning Design System:
- By using SLDS it’s easier to build apps which are responsive and also have the look and feel similar to Lightning Experience.
- It is compatible with multiple browsers like Google Chrome, Latest Mozilla Firefox, Latest Safari Latest Internet Explorer 11 and above .
- It provides a robust grid system because of which It is easier to build responsive layouts that works elegantly across different screen sizes.
- The CSS is fully namespace with the slds- prefix to avoid CSS conflicts.
Introduction To Lightning Components Framework
It is built using Open Source Aura Framework. By Using Aura Framework We can build apps completely independent of the Data present in our Salesforce org.
Benefits Of Lightning Components Framework :
- It provides an out-of-the-box set of components for building apps
- When we use Lightning Components Framework We do not need to worry about the optimization of our apps for different devices as Components take care of that by themselves.
- It uses the stateful client and stateless server architecture which uses Java script on client side for managing UI component metadata and Application data.
- It uses event Driven architecture which enhances the decoupling Between components.
- It supports the latest browser technology such as HTML 5,CSS3.
Differences Between SLDS and Aura
- First of all Salesforce Lightning Design System is a CSS based framework.
- Used for creating dynamic apps while on the other hand Lightning Components Framework uses aura components for creating the dynamic apps.
- In case of Lightning Components Framework We need to write two Controllers one for client side and the other one for server side. while in case of Salesforce Lightning Design System we need to write only one controller which will be a server side controller.
Note:The client side Controller that we will write for Lightning Components Framework would be written using java script while the server side controller will be written using apex.
- By using Lightning Components Framework we can build an app which will be completely independent of salesforce data while in case of Salesforce Lightning Design System(SLDS) do need some salesforce data which can be accessed using Java script Remote Objects.
- Lightning Components Framework are client-side centric while Salesforce Lightning Design System are server-side centric.
- Because Lightning Components are client side centric therefore they are better.
- Equipped for creating dynamic web apps then Salesforce Lightning Design System.
- As mentioned above Lightning Components are client side centric therefore they are more mobile friendly as compared to the Salesforce Lightning Design System(SLDS).
EVENT DRIVEN PROGRAMMING:
- In Lightning Component Framework Event Driven programming such as Java script and java swing is used for writing helpers which responds to Interface events as they occur but in Salesforce Designing System there is no such concept of Event Driven Programming.
- Because In the Lightning Component Framework we need to create two controllers and also it uses event driven programming language such as Java script therefore it is much for complex as compared to the Salesforce Lightning Design System(SLDS)